Monday, September 14, 2009

Humility like Jesus

On Friday evening my wife and I caught some of the Basketball Hall of Fame inductions. I was excited to see we had not missed Michael Jordan's induction. I thought it would be a really cool things to see the greatest basketball player take his place in the Hall of Fame. What I came to discover was the speech of a man with great arrogance. I was expecting a gracious list of thank you's to teammates, coaches, administration and fans but what I heard was nothing but me, me, me and me. While Michael mentioned some teammates and coaches in passing he quickly went on to talk about all the people that threw wood into the fire.

Once he finished I looked at my wife and said, "That was kind of sad." Jordan's life had been given over to the worship of basketball but the biggest problem was he knew he was god in this arena. From the world's perspective self-glorification is the norm but as a follower of Jesus Christ this is hideous. Sadly I can spot the arrogance and pride in the life of others but the more I thought about it the more I realized how much I miss this in my own life. I wonder when people speak with me or do any activity with me if they see me or if they see humility like Christ. I fear too many times I'm like Jordan and not Jesus. The very thing I loathed in Jordan is what I love in myself. I wouldn't say I love it but if my actions speak of pride then I must not have an issue with it like I ought.

Jesus on the other hand is all about humility: "Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross." (Philippians 2:3-8)

Are you more about yourself than you are the interest of others? My challenge to myself and you would be to look to Jesus as our example. He empty himself by becoming man so that he might obey his Father's will and die on the cross for the sins of those he came to save.

Grace upon grace,
JRL

No comments: