Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Speaking About What You Value

C.S. Lewis in Reflections on the Psalms says, "Just as men spontaneously praise whatever they value, so they spontaneously urge us to join them in praising it: 'Isn't she lovely? Wasn't it glorious? Don't you think that magnificent?' The Psalmists in telling everyone to praise God are doing what all men do when they speak of what they care about."

I read this quotation for the first time a couple of nights ago and it struck me that this does represent my life but many times what I value is not Christ. The Psalmists speak of God's steadfast love, faithfulness, beauty, comfort; being a refuge, rock, fortress, Shepherd, Creator and so much more. Many times I don't say a word about Christ. Sure I speak of his grace and love to myself. I remind myself of what he accomplished on the cross. I tell myself of his gift of everlasting life because of his resurrection. But when it comes to speaking aloud to others about Christ I find myself silent too often. Lewis goes on:

"I think we delight to praise what we enjoy because the praise not merely expresses but completes the enjoyment; it is its appointed consummation. It is not out of compliment that lovers keep on telling one another how beautiful they are; the delight is incomplete till it is expressed."

Lord by your grace and strength alone will my love for you change to speakable joy in what you have done. Forgive me for being silent when I should have opened my mouth and for opening my mouth when I should be silent. Teach me more and more about your faithfulness so that in turn I may be faithful to speak of your faithfulness.

Grace upon grace,
JRL

No comments: