Monday, September 21, 2009

Speaking truth produces praise

Psalm 63:1-8

David cries out to the Lord in Psalm 63, "O God, you are my God. Earnestly I seek you, my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you" (1). David longs for the Lord. As I studied this text I wondered why my soul doesn't long for God in this manner? We need to have a proper focus on the object of our worship. When my soul is not longing after God then my focus has shifted to another object of worship. I am an idolater in my heart.

David helps see how our focus stays on God, "So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary...I remember you upon my bed and meditate on you in the watches of the night" (2,6). David tells us to stay focused through the teaching of and meditating on the Word of God. Then in turn we will behold God's "power and glory" (2). We see the character of God as we meditate upon that which he has revealed about himself. Take a look at Isaiah 6:1-8 and see how God displayed himself to Isaiah.

David then says, "Because your steadfast love is better than life" (3). Steve Lawson says, "This steadfast love by which God had committed himself to David was more valuable to him than life itself. He knew that God was not only with him but for him through thick and thin, in good times and bod times, both on and off the throne, in the royal court as well as in the rugged wilderness." Focusing in on God's character and attributes will cause our hearts to react with affections for the Savior.

David list a few of them here in this text:
My lips praise you (3)
I will bless you (4)
I will lift up my hands (4)
My soul will be satisfied (5)
My mouth wil praise you with joyful lips (5)
I will sing for joy (7)

In verse 8 we see David say to the Lord: "My soul clings to you." Why? David speaks more truth about God saying, "Your right hand upholds me." The Lord is upholding his children in every situtation of life. He promises to never leave us or forsake us. We may feel otherwise but our feelings do negate the truth of God's Word.

I would encourage you read Isaiah 6:1-8 and also Psalm 63 is a good read but also can be used for prayer. Stay in God's word to find out more about his character and attributes that cause praise in the heart of those he has redeemed.

Grace upon grace,
JRL

No comments: