Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Reason for the Hope that is in you

On Monday night I was enjoying my Packers playing on Monday Night Football and winning 17-0 at the half. During halftime I picked up Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper (This is why Piper was quoted earlier in the week as well). In his chapter Living to Prove He is more Precious than Life, Piper asks: "When was the last time someone asked you about 'the reason for the hope that is in you?'"

I sat staring at the question wondering when the last time that occurred. Sadly I couldn't recall the last time that had taken place. I know I love Christ but does my life reflect that reality? I'm more prone to talk about the Packers or the news or work but where are my words and actions reflecting Christ? I sat humbled on the couch by my lack of love for Christ. Piper went on:

"That's what Peter said we should always be ready to give an answer for: 'Always be prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you' (1 Peter 3:15).
Why don't people ask us about our hope? The answer is probably that we look as if we hope in the same things they do. Our lives don't look like they are on the Calvary road, stripped down for sacrificial love, serving others with the sweet assurance that we don't need to be rewarded in this life. Our reward is great in heaven (Matthew 5:12)! 'You will be repaid at the resurrection of the just' (Luke 14:14). If we believed this more deeply, others might see the worth of God and find in him their gladness." (John Piper, Don't Waste Your Life, 108-109)

May God be gracious to us to allow us to live a life reflecting him as our all-satisfying treasure.

Grace upon grace,
JRL

No comments: