Monday, January 25, 2010

Seeking your own agenda in the Scriptures

Have you seen the trend of religion where people are taking snippets of the Bible and making Scripture into their own interpretation? This has been a huge reality in our delusional world that fears God enough to look at the Bible but not enough to see what God really is saying. Many times we love ourselves and our sin too much to submit to the Lordship of Jesus Christ and his word. Apart from the work of the Spirit in our lives we will not cry out with David, "With my whole heart I seek you; let me not wander from your commandments" (Ps. 119:10)! By God's grace do any of us seek to obey Christ and his commandment with joy and for his glory.

C.S. Lewis helps us see the approach of most when it comes to Christ's commandments: "Most of us are not really approaching the subject in order to find out what Christianity says: we are approaching it in the hope of finding support from Christianity for the views of our own party." Seeking the Scripture with our own agenda will get us no where. We must come to the Bible humbly confessing Christ as our Lord and Savior then we will see his commands as a joy and blessing to our souls.

Lewis continues with this example: "I may repeat 'Do as you would be done by' till I am black in the face, but I cannot really carry it out till I love my neighbour as myself: and I cannot learn to love my neighbour as myself till I learn to love God: and I cannot learn to love God except by learning to obey Him" (Mere Christianity, 87).

Grace upon grace,
JRL

No comments: