Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Fellowship with Christ

In John Piper's book Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ he writes, "Jesus himself - and all that God is for us in him - is our great reward, nothing less. 'I am the bread of life...If any one thirsts, let him come to me' (John 6:35; 7:37). Salvation is not mainly the forgiveness of sins, but mainly the fellowship of Jesus (1 Corinthians 1:9). Forgiveness gets everything out of the way so this can happen. If this fellowship is not all-satisfying, there is not great salvation."

I love Piper's point that forgiveness is nothing more than being free to fellowship with Jesus Christ because of his work on the cross. Christ is the greatest treasure. Our finite minds have a hard time getting around this reality. Piper goes on: "My capacities for joy are very confined. So Christ not only offers himself as the divine object of my joy, but pour his capacity for joy into me, so that I can enjoy him with the very joy of God. This is glory, and this is grace."

God is so good to not leave us on our own but he pours out his capacity so we may enjoy him with the "very joy of God."

Grace upon grace,
JRL

No comments: