Friday, February 5, 2010

White as Snow


“White as snow” (Isaiah 1:18)

Last weekend we had the joy of seeing snow fall. This is a rare occasion for our neck of the woods so when it happens it is always something to enjoy. But once the snow stopped falling and it covered the ground a few thoughts came to my mind as I looked at it for the next few days. The big thought was the reality of the cross and how my sins like scarlet were made “white as snow.”

Blood does not seem to be something that would make someone “white as snow” but that is exactly what the blood of Christ has done. For those who have repented and trusted in Christ for salvation Christ’s blood was shed for our sins. Our filthiest stains have been washed in the blood of Jesus Christ. When I looked at the snow all I could see was pure, white beauty. Our hearts have been made pure and beautiful through the blood of Christ. Ponder just for a moment your life before Christ invaded your heart with his grace. Ugly, dark, lost would be a few of the words to describe my heart before Christ. But now we are made pure through the blood of the Lamb. It is not that we are instantly made perfect, in this life, but that our direction is toward a life of pleasing God. We now strive to follow Christ’s command that “You shall be holy, for I am holy” (1 Peter 1:16). His commands no longer look like a list of do’s and don’ts but rather joy and blessings. We have been given a new heart that beats as Christ’s. Pure and holy we are called to be with our new hearts that are “white as snow.”

Another thing I observed from the snow was the reflection of light in the darkness. At night I would often look out the kitchen window and tell my wife how shocked I was at the brightness outside. The snow just reflected so much light that I would often look up to see if there were lights shining on our yard. Nothing. It was simply a normal night with snow on the ground. The snow was reflecting the moon. I guess the thought struck me, “Why doesn’t my ‘white as snow’ heart reflect Christ like this snow reflects the moon?’ I was so in awe at the brightness between snow on the ground and not on the ground that I had to just stare. I couldn’t help but gaze at the awesome display of light. I wonder if my life reflected the light of Jesus Christ if people would stop to gaze because they saw something different.

The snow was just a reflection of the moon. The moon is out every single night but I’m never in awe of it unless I’m out driving and see it in the sky. Yes it is an awesome display but I never really think of the light reflecting from the moon. Creation speaks but only to a certain degree. But God has given his people the task of reflecting his glory. He has placed his Spirit within us. He has given us a heart “white as snow” so others might see him through us. We are to be like the snow. The snow was doing nothing more than reflecting the glory of the moon. As God’s children we are called to reflect the glory of the Son. We are called to reflect God’s holiness by our words and deeds. “For God has not called us for impurity, but in holiness” (1 Thes. 4:7). As we live holy lives, by the Spirit, we will magnify the worth and beauty of Jesus Christ. He is the pure, spotless Lamb of God that was sent to die to bear the Father’s wrath for us. To use a creation analogy from Scripture: “For God, who said, ‘Let light shine out of darkness,’ has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ” (2 Corinthians 4:4). Praise God that he has given you a heart “white as snow” so you may reflect his glory.

Grace upon grace,
JRL

No comments: