Friday, March 12, 2010

Listen to my Plea for Grace


“Listen to my plea for grace” (Psalm 86:6)

In this Psalm of lament David is crying out to the Lord for mercy and strength as men are seeking his life. He acknowledges that his own sin may have contributed to the anger of his enemy but knows the Lord will hear his plea for mercy. David is displaying his trust in the Lord. He understands that only the Lord can spare his life so he prays, “Listen to my plea for grace.”

What a great prayer. As I was reading this Psalm I thought to myself, “Do I pray enough for God’s sustaining grace in my life?” Grace is such a beautiful gift from the Giver of life. Maybe men are not seeking your life right now, as was happening to David, but are you grateful for grace? Do you understand how much grace has been bestowed upon you? I’m in awe as I see all the gifts I have been given from God. A wife, a daughter, a job, a house, a car, a church body, a physical body, two arms, two legs, ten fingers, ten toes, eyes to see, hands to touch, ears to hear, music, books, a bed and I could go on and on with this list. His grace to all of us is beyond what we ask or imagine. Too many times though I am not thankful for all these gifts. I think about what I’ve done to achieve them and the money I’ve earned to have all those things. In reality they are all gifts of his kind grace. Many times I find myself not praising him for all these wonderful gifts. Sadly the times I am most aware of his grace or want his grace or I think I need his grace are the moments of distress. In a rough time at work or our marriage or bad weather coming our way I start to panic not trusting in God to give his magnificent grace. I know the truth about God’s character but in those moments I listen to my own sinful heart.

David goes on in Psalm 86 to remind himself of God’s saving grace. As his children we are able to cry out for God’s sustaining grace over our lives but we always need to go back and remember his saving grace. His saving grace is what made us his children in the first place. Sadly the world soaks up God’s common grace without acknowledging him as the Giver of grace. But Christians ought to always be reminded of God’s steadfast love toward them through his grace. After we cry for God to “listen to my plea for grace” we should give thanks that we even care to cry out to him. That is his grace. How great is God? He gives us grace to cry out for grace. This should always take us back to the cross. This is where the greatest display of grace took place. As we read or hear about the cross we should be reminded that his grace is sufficient for all of life. He who is faithful to save us will be faithful to sustain. But we need to remember our dependence upon him.

After David’s plea for grace he reminds himself of God’s faithfulness to him with praise: “I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart, and I will glorify your name forever. For great is your steadfast love toward me; you have delivered my soul from the depths of Sheol” (Ps. 86:12-13). Christian, are you aware of God’s grace in every aspect of your life? Do you praise him for every gift he showers you with here on this earth? Are you grateful to him for your shoelaces? I must confess my heart is not always there. May I challenge you to be grateful for every grace God bestows upon you. He has gracious opened your eyes to see that every gift has been given from him, the Giver of life. May we hear him tell us over and over: “My grace is sufficient for you” (2 Cor. 12:9).

Grace upon grace,
JRL

No comments: