Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Woe to you (Part 8)

"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you build the tombs of the prophets and decorate the monuments of the righteous, saying, ‘If we had lived in the days of our fathers, we would not have taken part with them in shedding the blood of the prophets.’ Thus you witness against yourselves that you are sons of those who murdered the prophets. Fill up, then, the measure of your fathers." (Matthew 23:29-32)

Finally Jesus reminds the Pharisees that they are no different than their fathers. The Pharisees announced that their fathers were the ones who murdered the prophets by saying if they had lived in their days they would not have murdered the prophets. But once again we see the clean cup of the hypocrite's tongue against the backdrop of a black heart filled with rage for the murder of Jesus. The Pharisees wanted Christ killed because of this very reason: conviction. Christ brought about the conviction of the heart.

Sadly I see much of myself in this passage. I would be fooled to think I also did not want Christ crucified. By my sin I declare "Crucify Him!" just like the mob the day they delivered Christ over to the Roman soldiers. My heart was filled with rage against Christ. I loved my sin and even now as one of his children I see my heart tugging back to the fleeting pleasures of sin. But God who is rich in mercy has given me a new heart. He has replaced the old dirty, dead heart with one of new life that is pure. He has given me his Spirit so that by his grace I may fight against temptation and sin. He has given me eyes to see the beauty of his Word that is for teaching, reproof, correction and training in righteousness. What a good God! He loves me because of Christ! To the praise of his glorious grace.

Grace upon grace,
JRL

No comments: