Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Is the Gospel becoming trendy?

Last week Dane Ortlund posted on The Gospel Coalition Blog asking the question Too "Gospel-Centered"? Ortlund says, "In more recent days, though, some are raising the question of whether this is getting a bit out of hand, asking whether we can emphasize the gospel to the exclusion of other things, and, perhaps most of all, simply expressing a general cynicism about the current trendiness of being gospel-centered."

This is an issue we should address and seriously consider. I have always made it my goal to make this blog as gospel-centered as possible. I also made it the aim of my life to preach the gospel faithfully to myself daily or better yet hourly. My encouragement to others is the always the same. I love the gospel but many times it does not affect the way it should affect me. Sadly I am loving my sin at this point instead of loving the One who loved me enough to die on the cross for my sins. But I never want my motivation for proclaiming this message to others to become trendy. I never want to do it because it's the popular or cool thing to do. Although I firmly believe the gospel is "the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes" (Rom. 1:16). "Such a description [the power of God] indicates that the gospel is not only powerful, but that it is the ultimate entity in which God's power resides and does its greatest work" (Milton Vincent, A Gospel Primer, 14-15).

Trendy or not God will use his powerful message of hope to rescue those he came to save. This is why I love the gospel and believe it could never be talked about, written about, preached about, read about or sung about too often. This is the great reality that Jesus Christ came into the world to save sinners, he defeated sin and death by rising on the third day and now he is seated at the right hand of his Father as the name above all other names. Through Christ those who are hostile against God are redeemed and brought to the place where they are made alive to see the glorious reality of God. This is amazing grace!

Ortlund's last response to his question is: "Before either dismissing it or absorbing it, let’s consider it, test it, and, if we find that in fact deeper awareness of sin and sin’s healing in Christ is indeed the place to start and end every day happily and humbly, pass it on."

Amen!

Grace upon grace,
JRL

No comments: