Monday, May 3, 2010

Awe and Wonder at the Cross

I was recently reminded of the scene in Pilgrim's Progress when Christian has his burden taken away because of the cross. What a great picture John Bunyan paints of the great gift of salvation.

"Now I saw in my dream that the highway up which Christian was to travel was fenced on either side with a wall, and that wall was called Salvation. Up this way, therefore, did Christian run, but not without great difficulty because of the load on his back.

He ran until he came to a hill, and upon that hill stood a cross, and at the bottom was a [tomb]. So I saw in my dream that just as Christian came up to the cross, his burden was loosened from his shoulders and fell from his back and began to tumble, and continued to do so until it came to the mouth of the [tomb], where it fell in, and I saw it not more.

Then Christian was glad and lighthearted and said with a merry heart, 'He has given me rest through his sorrow, and life through his death.' He stood still a while to look and wonder, for it surprised him that the sight of the cross should thus ease him of his burden. He looked and looked, until the tears streamed down his cheeks."

O what amazing grace is found at the cross of Christ!

Grace upon grace,
JRL

1 comment:

Aaron said...

I'm planning to do a bit of blogging through this book as well - great stuff!