Monday, May 10, 2010

Has anyone seen my 2 X 4?

"Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye." (Matthew 7:3-5)

"Sin has had two remarkable effects on our critical powers. It has made us super-sensitive to the faults of others and insensitive to our own. We are born experts at seeing the shortcomings of our neighbor. But a spiritual long-sightedness renders us oblivious to the same shortcomings in ourselves." (Maurice Roberts)

Are you more aware of your neighbors sin or your own? If the answer is your neighbors I would challenge you go examine your own heart in the light of who Christ is. I have had plenty of opportunities to examine my own heart this past weekend to which I am grateful to the Lord for showing me my own sinful heart. The good news is forgiveness which is found in Christ's atoning work on the cross. O the grace of God to pardon a sinner like me.

Grace upon grace,
JRL

No comments: