Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Hurting the Ones we Love

Why does it seem we do the most sinful things to the ones we love the most?

I admit it probably just seems we commit the most sinful acts with the ones we love because we are sinning against people we love. We love the other person so much that many times it can be harder to forgive yourself than receive forgiveness from the offended person. I confess my tendency after I sin is to go and read my Bible more or pray or try harder to do good but that is nothing more than a response based on a works righteousness. Sure those things are not bad but they are not the truth of the gospel. I have to stop and remind myself that Christ's blood is sufficient for forgiveness. Once I have sought the forgiveness of God, my Father, I always want to be faithful to seek the forgiveness of the one I have offended. A great promise from Scripture is: "If we confess our sin he is faithful and just to forgive us our sin and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" (1 John 1:9).

"Let us take comfort in the thought that the Lord Jesus does not cast off his believing people because of failures and imperfections. He knows what they are. He takes them, as the husband takes the wife, with all their blemishes and defects, and once joined to Him by faith, will never leave them. He is a merciful and compassionate High Priest." (J.C. Ryle)

We have a Bridegroom who knows everything about our hearts, minds, motives and actions who, despite our sin, loves us. How can this be? Because there is no condemnation and no seperation for those who place their trust in the finished work of his Son upon Calvary. That is the simple good news of the gospel that most people reject and many do not want to cling to for salvation.

Grace upon grace,
JRL

No comments: