Friday, June 18, 2010

So Abram Went


“So Abram went” (Genesis 12:4)

For my personal time in the Scriptures I have been reading through Genesis and I was in Genesis 12 this past weekend when the words, “So Abram went” really stuck in my mind. I have a tendency to glance over simple statements in Scripture instead of taking the time to meditate upon every word. I finished the chapter and went back to look at these three words and think about what they meant for me. “So Abram went” is exactly what I ought to do when God graciously reveals his will for my life.

“The LORD said to Abram, ‘Go from your country and your kindred and your father’s house to the land that I will show you. And I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and him who dishonors you I will curse, and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed” (Gen. 12:1-3). The LORD tells Abram to basically leave everything familiar and comfortable so that he may make a great nation of him. Most of us probably think, “If God spoke to me and told me those words I would go too.” Really? God speaks to us today through his Spirit in his word and yet we disagree with him often. God has given us the way of true life in this world and everlasting life with him yet we kick and scream because we want to do things our way. God commands us to forsake all to live for him. Do you remember the words, “Deny yourself, pick up your cross daily and follow me”? Following him means denying self and dying daily so that we may be blessed by our Creator.

I think the reason the Spirit prompted me to go back to those words is the fact that I don’t respond with faith like Abram. Abram could have responded the way I often do by asking, “Are you sure Lord?” or “Why, I’m comfortable right where I am?” or “Lord, I know that sounds good but I’m pretty sure life is good this way?” It sounds foolish to think my way could possibly be better than the path my Creator designed for me yet I often think my way is better. But Abram is such an example and encouragement to me as I see no hesitation but rather the very next words: “So Abram went.” Remember Genesis 22 when God tested Abraham (Abram) saying, “Take your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains of which I shall tell you” (2). Easy enough right? YEAH RIGHT! Once again my heart goes straight to questioning God and his purposes which is really an attack on his perfect, holy character. Who am I to answer back to God? Abram did not answer back but rather trusted in God’s holy character. The very next words after God tested Abraham: “So Abraham rose early in the morning, saddled his donkey, and took two of his young men with him, and his son Isaac” (3).

My prayer is that we, as followers of Jesus Christ, would trust him. I pray that we would not view circumstances through our eyes which can produce an angry, complaining and doubting attitude; but I trust we will read God’s word and know his perfect character putting our trust in him. He is trustworthy. The best part of Abraham is the fact that he knew the One he trusted in was also giving him the strength to trust him. Abraham was just a faithful servant to his Creator. He had a right view of self and God. When we open God’s word may we be ready to see his promises and by the power of the Holy Spirit cling to them with our lives knowing they will produce in us a blessing beyond all comparison. Then when God tests us we may respond: “So ________ went.”

Grace upon grace,
JRL

No comments: