Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Sufficient Grace

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.'" (2 Corinthians 12:9)

Yesterday I woke up with my neck hurting and my head pounding. I ended up getting up and getting ready for work then eventually heading into the office. As the day went on I ended up feeling worse and eventually left the office to go home and rest. I bring that up because as I was trying to make my head feel better I did many things on my own power instead of asking for grace. Aspirin did not seem to work or caffeine or sugar or chocolate or eating in general but rather I continued to decline. Don't get me wrong I am so grateful for the things mentioned above but ultimately it is God who takes away the pain in his perfect timing. As I was driving home in the silence of my car this verse came to my mind. I was so glad the Holy Spirit brought to my mind this passage about God's grace being sufficient in my weakness.

I am so grateful for God's grace in allowing me to come home and get some rest. Eventually in the evening my headache did go away. My point in telling this story is to remind us as Christians that we should always be trusting in God's grace for our lives. He uses many things (rest, medicine, etc.) as means of grace for our healing but ultimate it is God who heals us. May we be faithful to come to him in times of sickness and praise him when healing takes place. In every circumstance may we remember his grace is sufficient in our weakness. "Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong" (2 Cor. 12:9-10). May this be my boast in my great Savior, Jesus Christ, for his power and strength in my weakness.

Jerry Bridges helps sum this up: "God's grace is not given to make us feel better, but to glorify him. Modern society's subtle, underlying agenda is good feelings. We want the pain to go away. We want to feel better in difficult situations, but God wants us to glorify him in those circumstances. Good feelings may came, or they may not, but that is not the issue. The issue is whether or not we honor God by the way we respond to our circumstances."

Grace upon grace,
JRL

No comments: