Friday, August 13, 2010

Who am I that I should go


“Who am I that I should go” (Exodus 3:11)

As a Christian have you ever asked the question, “Who am I that I should go”? Often we are so focused on the reality of our sin that we turn away from knowing the God who has graciously saved us. Not only did he save us but he has called us to worship him through our lives as we serve others. But this is not our natural way of thinking so we often wonder and ask, “Who am I that I should go”?

Imagine the angel of the LORD appearing in a flame of fire in a bush yet the bush never being consumed. This is exactly what happened to Moses and Moses said, “I will turn aside to see this great sight, why the bush is not burned” (Ex. 3:3). When he had turned to see the bush God calls out to him from the bush, “Moses, Moses!” Think about this for a moment. The God of the universe is appearing through a burning bush speaking to a person like you and me. The verses that speak of God being a consuming fire (Deut. 4:24; Heb. 12-29) always come to my mind when I read this passage. God is an eternal consuming fire deserving of worship out of reverence and awe because he is holy. God tells Moses to take his sandals off because he is standing on holy ground. The holy ground is not in reference to the location being a special place but rather Moses is in the presence of God Almighty.

Part of our struggle with being God’s ambassadors on this earth is our lack of faith in the God who has called us. The God who has called us is the same today as he was when Moses was called out by him in the burning bush. We do exactly as Moses does in this account. The LORD speaks to him from a burning bush and proceeds to speak about the affliction of his people in Egypt. God has heard the cries of his people Israel and is now going to use Moses to deliver his people out of oppression. “Come, I will send you to Pharaoh that you may bring my people, the children of Israel, out of Egypt” (Exodus 3:10). Pharaoh was a very powerful man who had control over many people. From a human standpoint Moses knew what this would mean so Moses says, “Who I am that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the children of Israel out of Egypt?” Once again from a human standpoint this is not a bad question but we must keep in mind who is speaking to Moses. Our sovereign God is trustworthy. He has called us to be his ambassadors of his message of Christ crucified and so we must trust in his ways and promises. We are unworthy sinners but God’s plan of redemption includes his working through us as his children.

God’s compassionate and loving response to Moses is also what should comfort us when we are asking, “Who am I that I should go”? God told Moses, “But I will be with you.” What comfort. What kindness. What compassion. When we are wondering, “Are you sure Lord that I am supposed to go?”, he kindly answers us, “But I will be with you.” He promises never to leave or forsake us. As his children we can trust that he will do exactly what he plans to do; so may we, in faith, trust God rather than in ourselves. May we forsake trusting in ourselves and trust solely in our sovereign Creator.
Grace upon grace,
JRL

No comments: