Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Resting in God for Results

This past Sunday evening I had the opportunity to teach at the Juvenile Detention Center here in Little Rock. I was reminded once again of the power of the gospel but I was also reminded of the truth that it is God alone who transforms hearts. That truth is a comfort to my soul as the person given the opportunity to preach the gospel. I spoke from 1 Timothy 1 where Paul says, "Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners." I love the simplicity of this phrase and the profoundness of this phrase. I asked these basic questions:

Who are sinners?
Who is Jesus Christ?
Why does it matter?
How did he save or reconcile?
Who are you trusting in?

When I was done our group had the opportunity to speak with the young adults who were there. There were no dramatic cries of repentance or a call for a show of hands for prayer but rather some who listened and wanted to talk. Others were content to just listen and not say a word about the gospel. Some of the young adults did want prayer and so we prayed. A small group cared nothing about what we had to say. But the summarizing good news about the night is the reminder of two words in Scripture: "But God." We have no idea what might come from our labor on Sunday night but I am confident that every soul in the room that night heard the good news of Jesus Christ's death and resurrection. They heard that in the presence of holy God no one stands a chance because of sin. "But God" sent his Son, Jesus Christ, into the world to save sinners. I am confident that he will do the work in the hearts of those who heard the gospel.

Grace upon grace,
JRL

No comments: