Thursday, December 2, 2010

Let Your Light Shine in the World

I have had the joy of working at the same place for the last 13 years of my life. I love my job and I love the fact that they allow me to keep working there. I understand this is completely by the grace of God. My job is in a secular work environment which means the people I work with may or may not be followers of Jesus Christ (I guess that could be true in all lines of work). I have seen the great tension of speaking the Gospel to people I work with but also letting my life reflect the life of Christ. I haven't been a Christian my entire 13 years at the bank but since becoming a Christian I know that not everything (not even close) has reflected that of the one I follow. There have been many instances of confession, repentance and seeking forgiveness. This is never easy but it is joyfully necessary.

There have been many times when my sins committed have been struggles within my own heart. I have wrestled through many of these struggles with God asking him for grace and mercy in my life as I pursue godliness. I want to not only claim the name Christian but I want to actually be one. But there have also been moments when sin manifests itself into action at work. I have been a complainer, angry, self-righteous, harsh, envious and so on. Sometimes people want to see Christians stumble and fall so they can feel better about themselves. Others want to comfort you by saying, "I know that's not who you are." That is a great comfort but sadly that is who I really am apart from the grace of God.

We live in a day where Christianity becomes a comparsion of people rather than the holy standard of Christ. In moments of sin I can tend to do this myself. It is a sad and pathetic way to have standard. When the bar is set only as high as a fellow sinner we really have a flexible bar. Therefore we won't see the need to confess, repent and seek forgiveness because we will reject that we have wronged someone. Rather, Christians ought to have the holiness of Christ as our aim. He is our standard. We ought to be people who seek forgiveness because of how much we have been forgiven. This takes a lot of humility but as Spurgeon said, "Pride cannot live beneath the cross."

This is the place every Christian ought to desire to live. We won't be perfect until the day we are brought home to glory but our aim ought to be holiness because we desire to be like Christ. Peter writes, "He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct" (1 Peter 1:15). This isn't an option but rather a command for the Christian to be holy in all conduct. We ought to walk in holiness. I confess this is no easy task but "I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus" (Phil. 1:6). Every Christian ought to rest in this promise while we fight in this battle against Satan and our flesh.


Christian, are you pursuing holiness? When you have wrong someone do you justify your actions or repent? Are you humbly living beneath the cross? Are you confident that Christ will complete the work he has started? If this makes no sense to you all let me ask you this: Are you sure you are a Christian? Have you put your trust in Christ and his atoning work on the cross?

Grace upon grace,
JRL

No comments: