Friday, January 21, 2011

The LORD is the Portion of my Inheritance and my Cup


“The LORD is the portion of my inheritance and my cup” (Psalm 16:5)

Psalm 16 is one my favorite chapters in the entire Bible. The chapter is short but packed with sweet reminders of who God is and what we have received from his hand. It is a chapter about his grace to us. We can find great comfort for our souls in this Psalm of David. A couple of those comfronts come when David says, "The LORD is the portion of my inheritance and my cup."

If you are a Christian than you recognize that before God graciously saved you your inheritance was death and your cup was full of God’s holy wrath. The Bible says the wages of sin is death (Romans 6:23) and death is described as a place of eternal punishment (Matthew 25:46). Every human deserves this eternal punishment because of our treason against holy God. This is beyond a gloomy picture. This is a horrific reality! Apart from the saving work of Jesus Christ this is our position. All are born into sin therefore we are all God rejecting rebels who have replaced God to put ourselves on his rightful throne. For those who continue in their sin, not confessing Jesus as Lord and Savior, the horrific truth of being separated from God’s goodness for all eternity can never be escaped. So how is David bringing comfort by saying, “The LORD is the portion of my inheritance and my cup”?

We see clearly two truths about who God is in our salvation. He is “the portion of my inheritance” and he is “my cup.” This is a great comfort because we can see there is hope for sinners. The horrific truth about our sin and the death we have all inherited from birth is taken away. Through faith in Jesus Christ our inheritance goes from rags to riches. “I cry to you, O LORD; I say, ‘You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living’” (Ps. 142:5). Our cup, which was full of God’s wrath is not just emptied out (which would be great) but is now filled with God’s saving grace. “What shall I render to the LORD for all his benefits to me? I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the LORD” (Ps. 116:12-13). In Psalm 23 we read: “My cup overflows” (5). The comfort is found in the truth that God’s grace triumphs over our sins.

For those who have placed their trust in Christ may you find great comfort from this passage. May you remember the grace of our great God. May we with David say, “The LORD is the portion of my inheritance and my cup.” He is all we need. No matter the external circumstances in this world, we can cling to the God of our salvation. Our inheritance is a blissful eternity with him and our cup is ever overflowing with his great salvation. Rejoice and praise his great name.

Grace upon grace,
JRL

No comments: