Thursday, February 3, 2011

God knows your Heart

Yesterday I was reading in Luke 16 when Jesus says these words to the Pharisees: "You are those who justify yourselves before men, but God know your hearts. For what is exalted among men is an abomination in the sight of God" (15).

"People who seek to appear righteous before others typically are not righteous before God, for God knows your hearts. What is exalted among men includes any kind of human achievement not done for the glory of God" (ESV Study Bible)

Sadly I find myself too much like the Pharisees. My intentions and motives come from wanting to please people rather than pleasing God. God, in his great grace, has been working on me in this area so it is by his providence that I read these words yesterday. They stung and were a great encouragement to my soul. The great encouragement comes from knowing the gospel. God sent his Son in order to bear the punishment for my people pleasing. I deserve eternal punishment for this sin yet he lavishes me with grace.

Grace upon grace,
JRL

No comments: