Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Going Out How we Came In

"For we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world" (1 Timothy 6:7)

John Piper writing about this passage:

"In verse 7 [Paul] says, 'For we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world.' There are no U-Hauls behind hearses. Suppose someone passes empty-handed through the turnstile at a big-city art museum and begins to take the pictures off the wall and carry them importantly under his arm. You come up to him and say, 'What are you doing?' He answers, 'I'm becoming an art collector.'

'But they're not really yours,' you say, 'and besides, they won't let you take any of those out of here. You'll have to go out just like you came in.' But he answers again, 'Sure, they're mine. I've got them under my arm. People in the halls look at me as an important dealer. And I don't bother myself with thoughts about leaving. Don't be a killjoy.'

We would call this man a fool! He is out of touch with reality. So is the person who spends himself to get rich in this life. We will go out just the way we came in."

Grace upon grace,
JRL

No comments: