Friday, April 1, 2011

I will Lift up the Cup of Salvation and Call on the Name of the LORD


“I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the LORD” (Ps. 116:13)

How does God want his people to respond to him for all of his mercy he has lavished upon us? How do we give a sufficient amount of thanks and praise and honor to our great King? What do we have to return to him for his great gift of salvation? Or as the Psalmist asks, “What shall I render to the LORD for all his benefits to me?” The only right response: “I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the LORD.”

Poor, empty, vile rebels have nothing to offer to the Creator of all things. God is the Creator therefore we have nothing to offer him that does not already belong to him. “For every beast of the forest is mine, the cattle on a thousand hills. I know all the birds of the hills, and all that moves in the field is mine” (Ps. 50:10-11). Scripture is clear that God owns it all and all of creation proclaims his handiwork but his image-bearers have rebelled against him. In contrast to the rest of creation our desire is to proclaim our greatness rather the greatness of our Creator. We want to sit on his throne. But rather than crushing us, which is what we deserve, our Creator provided a way for his justice to be met and show sinners mercy.

Sadly many want to stay in the state of rebellion against their Creator God. They love the fleeting pleasures of sin. They love this temporary world so much that they are blinded to greatest love ever shown in history. The way provided for sinners to be forgiven their sin was through the death of God’s very own Son, Jesus Christ. God is just, therefore it is impossible for him to let sin go as if it is no big deal at all. It is a big deal and it must be punished. A holy, perfect God cannot just sweep sin under the rug or he would cease to be God. But rather than giving every person what they deserve he provided a way for sin to be atoned for. The response for those who have been rescued from God’s wrath should be no different than the Psalmist who says, “I will lift up the cup of salvation and call upon the name of the Lord.” This response brings all glory and honor to God.

God wants us, as his children, to keep our dependence upon him. What honors him more than anything is our continual dependence upon him. Lifting up our cup of salvation is saying, “God, in return for your great gifts to me, I can do nothing but continue to beg you for more grace and mercy.” You created me and I rebelled against you yet you provided the atoning sacrifice for my sin by sending your Son to die in my place. In return I have nothing to offer but my desire and prayer is continued dependence upon you. My prayer is to answer as the Psalmist: “I will lift up the cup of salvation and call upon the name of the Lord.”

Grace upon grace,
JRL

No comments: