Thursday, April 7, 2011

May No One bring Charges against God's People

Have you ever considered the calling of a Christian to give everything for the sake of the gospel? We are called to be people who walk in a manner worthy of our calling so that when we proclaim the message of the gospel to others we have lives that back it up. Our testimony is not in our speech alone but in our thoughts, motives and doing. I understand others cannot see our thoughts and motives but our actions spring from thoughts and motives therefore the call to live lives worthy of the gospel come from pure thoughts and motives. Paul, in recalling his testimony to Timothy, says, "But I received mercy for this reason, that in me, as the foremost (Chief of sinners), Jesus Christ might display his perfect patience as an example to those who were to believe in him for eternal life" (1 Tim. 1:16).

I have been slowly reading Thomas Watson's book The Godly Man's Picture and came across the section: A godly man walks with God. Watson says, "When the truth of grace is in the heart - the beauty of grace is seen in the walk!" He goes on to speak of several ways in which that grace is displayed in our walk. Here is one that ties into being a testimony for the sake of unbelievers:

"Close walking with God would put to silence the adversaries of the truth. Careless behavior puts a sword into wicked men's hands to wound piety. What a sad thing it is when it is said of professing Christians - that they are as proud, as covetous and as unjust as others! Will this not expose the ways of God to contempt? But holy and close walking would stop the mouths of sinners, so that they should not be able to speak against God's people without giving themselves the lie. Satan came to Christ and 'found nothing in him' (John 14:30). What a confounding thing it will be to the wicked when holiness is the only thing they have to fasten on the godly as a crime. 'We will never find any basis for charges against this man Daniel unless it has something to do with the law of his God'" (Daniel 6:5).

The calling of a Christian is not to be taken lightly. We are not Christians in religion but rather Christians by calling and that calling is from God himself. The cost? The cost for our salvation was the death of his Son. I often wonder why the gospel is not first and foremost in mind and heart. I wonder why I am so calous to the things of Christ. I wonder what my life looks like to a dying world. But I think the saddest truth about my life: Why don't I care as much as God calls me to care? There is a dying world out there that desperately needs to hear the gospel of Jesus Christ but I fear our lives as carnel Christians gives the world no reason to ask about our hope and joy. I fear at times I look no different from the world. But God has called us to be living testimonies of his grace. May we confess and repent and be men and women worthy of our calling for the purpose of spreading the glorious gospel of Jesus Christ to world so desperately needing it.

Grace upon grace,
JRL

No comments: