Monday, August 8, 2011

God Opposes the Proud but...

I hate sin. I know of no other way to start this post than stating that reality. It grieves me to see the sin that is in my life. It grieves me more that my sin so often affects the people I love the most. I've lately been noticing the pride in my life and how often that pride is directed toward my wife and others in my family. This weekend was good because God started showing me this reality. I know he is graciously working on my heart by his mercy and grace.

This weekend I did open up C.J. Mahaney's wonderful book Humility so I could get a dose of counsel and Scripture to help in my fight. Mahaney gives a great definitions of humility: "Humility is honestly assessing ourselves in light of God's holiness and our sinfulness." The reason for not noticing sin in our lives boils down to how we know and see God. The more we study, read and understand who God is then, in turn, the more we will know about ourselves. I know at times I tend to avoid this study. I am afraid of knowing God because of what I will find out about myself. It is ugly!

The Scriptures encourage us to fight against pride. God's word is clear: "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble (James 4:6). I want grace! All of us want grace but grace comes at a great price. In Philippians we are told to "have this mind among yourselves." What kind of mind? "Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others as more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interest of others" (2:3-4). The mind we are to have is a humble mind which is only possible with Christ. He set the example by taking on humanity in order to die a substitutionary death on our behalf. God left heaven to take the death and punishment for our sins. This is humility. Only through the power of the gospel are we able to have a humble mindset and heart.

So, the fight is on. The battle is waging war. I'm grateful for the battle but I'm even more grateful to know Christ has already won. My encouragement comes from knowing this is not my home and one day I will be with him in that place where sin will be no more. I long for that day but until he comes or takes me home I want to be faithful to fight for joy in him.

Grace upon grace,
JRL

No comments: