Thursday, September 22, 2011

This is Exciting!

Recently I bought Matt Redman's album 10,000 Reasons (Which I would recommend) in which the last song on the album is titled Endless Hallelujah. The first time I heard this song it caught my attention because of the opening verse:

When I stand before Your throne
Dressed in glory not my own
What a joy I'll sing of on that day
No more tears or broken dreams

Forgotten is the minor key
Everything as it was meant to be

I knew from the start this was a song about heaven but I didn't realize what a beautiful and true picture he was going to paint with his words. Once it ended the first time I put my headphones on to listen more closely the second time through. Tears. I couldn't help but think that this day is coming. This is the time we as Christians long for. While we don't fully understand all of eternity and what it will be like to worship Christ forever with no more sin or sorrow, we still wait eagerly. We receive small glimpses of this time here on earth that make us long for eternity even more. But what we do know is simply amazing. We know that to make the way for eternal life, God sent his Son, Jesus Christ, to die in our place, taking our sin and shame and imputing to us his perfect righteousness. This is why Matt Redman starts a song about heaven the way he does: When I stand before Your throne dressed in glory not my own. Christ's righteousness is the only way to stand before the throne and be ushered into the presence of the King forever.

The song also got me thinking about other songs that speak of heaven so here are a few to throw fuel on the fire of our longing:

Jesus Paid it All
And when before the throne
I stand in Him complete
"Jesus died my soul to save"
My lips shall still repeat (Elvina Hall)

The Solid Rock
When he shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh, may I then in Him be found;
Dressed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne (Edward Mote)

Waging War
That I might see this day
This waging war might go away
And be no more
That I might see His face
And hear Him say
"Son, welcome home the war is over" (Shane Barnard)

To close I will go back to Matt Redman's song:

And we will worship, worship
Forever in Your presence we will sing
We will worship, worship You
And endless hallelujah to the King

Grace upon grace,
JRL


No comments: