Monday, December 5, 2011

May the LORD Rejoice in His Works

Many great truths about God are all over Psalm 104.  The Psalmist is praising God for who he is as the Creator of everything.  He is screaming, "God, you are holy and awesome."  He is screaming the same exact phrase as the creation.  But as he closes the Psalm he writes:

 
May the glory of the LORD endure forever; may the LORD rejoice in his works, who looks on the earth and it trembles, who touches the mountains and they smoke! I will sing to the LORD as long as I live; I will sing praise to my God while I have being.  May my meditation be pleasing to him, for I rejoice in the LORD.  Let sinners be consumed from the earth, and let the wicked be no more!  Bless the LORD, O my soul! Praise the LORD!

 
Notice the phrase, "May the LORD rejoice in his works."  How awesome is God?  That is amazing to hear the psalmist say, "LORD rejoice in what you have done."  Should God listen?  Would that make God an idolater?  No!  He must rejoice in his works.  He must glory in himself.  If God does not rejoice in his works and get himself glory than he would be an idolater.  He would also cease to be God.  But this also plays a role in our worship as well.  If God did not rejoice in his works then the psalmist could not say, "Bless the LORD, O my soul! Praise the LORD!"  In order for us to praise and worship our Creator he must rejoice in his works.  He must rejoice in himself.  When we see him rejoice than we rejoice.  When we see him praise his great name than we praise his great name.  "I will sing to the LORD as long as I live; I will sing praise to my God while I have being...Praise the LORD!"

 
Grace upon grace,
JRL

No comments: