Friday, February 10, 2012

Forget not all His Benefits

"Forget not all his benefits" (Psalm 103:20)

Psalm 103 is like the loud trumpet blowing in our ears that tells us why our souls are to bless and magnify the name of the Lord.  David is spurring his own soul on to bless the Lord with everything that is in him.  The Lord is the only one worthy of worship because he is holy. But what is truly amazing is the reality that holy God gives benefits to sinners like you and me.  This is why David tells us, "Forget not all his benefits."

How many benefits are tied into the word "all"?  It is a good question to ask yourself.  Have you truly considered what it means to receive benefits from the God of the universe?  Recently, I happened to be having a pretty "bad day."  My wife and I were having some trouble with our wonderful two year old daughter.  To pile on top of that situation our car got a flat tire.  I was sure the world was going to end with all the trouble going on in my life (That is called sarcasm).  I remember driving our other car to go change our flat tire when the Lord recalled to me many of his benefits.  I remember thinking, "Lord you have spoiled me."  If having a little trouble with our two year old and a flat tire means the world is coming to an end than I have been blessed way too much.  In the moment of "trials" I had totally forgotten all of God's benefits.  Rather than rejoice and bless his name, I was complaining that I was suddenly put out.

The gospel is also tied into his benefits.  David reminds us of the fact that sinners can have their sins removed for good.  These are the very sins that offend holy God yet in his great love he rescues us from the pit of destruction and brings us into his presence.  When David says, "Forget not all his benefits" he continues on reminding us of God's kindness in forgiving sin. 

"Who forgives all your iniquity"
"Who redeems your life from the pit"
"Who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy"
"He does not deal with us according to our sins, nor repay us according to our iniquities"
"As far as the east is from the west, so far does he remove our transgressions from us"

Not only do we see his goodness in every moment of life but we see and recognize his goodness when he opens our eyes to the gospel.  When he quickens our hearts to see the glorious reality that Jesus Christ came  into the world to save sinners, we should bless his name.  Our souls ought to leap for joy when we can know that our holy God has provided the way for us to be in his presence for all eternity.  May we not forget the gospel.  When our heart's and mind's are fixed upon the Savior we will bless his holy name and "forget not all his benefits."

Grace upon grace,
JRL

No comments: