Monday, March 5, 2012

The Rocking Chair Sin

"Do not be anxious about your life."

I'm sure we have all read these words spoken from the mouth of our Savior Jesus Christ in the Sermon on the Mount.  These are words I turn to often but struggle obey.  Many times I find God's grace sustaining me to trust him and not be anxious but other times I find myself worrying like it's going out of style.  I come back and read this section praying that God would help me not to be anxious but trust him.  It is still not easy.  I have to confess this is a great sin.  It is revealing my heart that really wants control instead of trusting the sovereign God of the universe.  I've heard it said that "anxiety is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere."  Jesus says of those who are anxious, "O you of little faith."  May we be people who love the Lord and trust him no matter the circumstances in our life.  Jesus says, "Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness."

Grace upon grace,
JRL

2 comments:

ultimatetreasureseeker said...

I can't tell you how much I needed to hear that right now. I have been so anxious about my life the past several weeks, trying to control things and make things that I want to happen happen, and it just isn't what the Lord has for me right now. Thanks brother. Miss you! We need to catch up soon!

Jacquelynn said...

Leaning on this promise today, thanks J!