Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Responding to Truth

In Psalm 63 David longs for his God.  He cries out, "Earnstly I seek you; my flesh fainst for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water."  This should be the cry of all Christians.  David finds his longings satisfied in the truth.  He finds his satisfaction in who God is.  "So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary...and meditated upon you in the watches of the night" (2, 6).  What did David discover?  God is powerful and glorious and his steadfast love (mercy) is better than life (3).  He longed for God and found his longings satisfied in God.  We also can know the truth about who God is by looking and meditating upon his Word.  He has given us his Word so that we might know him. 

When David's longings are satisfied we read his response to the truth throughout the rest of the Psalm:

1. My lips will praise you (3)
2. I will bless you (4)
3. In your name I will lift up my hands (4)
4. My soul will be satisfied (5)
5. My mouth will praise you with joyful lips (5)
6. I will sing for joy (7)

Have you meditated upon our great God to where you respond to his power, glory and mercy this way?  God is awesome and we tend to make him boring.  David was in the wilderness praising, blessing, surrendering, satisfied and singing because of the greatness of God.  We have so many ways in which we can learn more about God yet we tend to be bored with him.  May we be a people who earnestly long for God.

Grace upon grace,
JRL

No comments: