Thursday, August 9, 2012

Thirsting After God

"O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water."

Psalm 63:1 – “Do you thirst after God?”

The only object of our worship should be God. He is all we need. When we are without God our longings move to every new object of worship. Titus 3:3 says we were “slaves to various passions and pleasures.” We were owned by every new desire we would encounter. I need a new phone. I need new shoes. I need a new computer. I need this and I need that. Our heart longs for something to satisfy it. The problem is those temporary objects cannot satisfy an eternal longing. The perishable cannot quench the imperishable. The things of this world were never meant to bring us eternal joy. Our hearts were created to be satisfied in God alone. “In his presence there is fullness of joy; at his right hand are pleasures forevermore” (Ps. 16:11). Is your thirst for the fleeting or the eternal?

Grace upon grace,
JRL

No comments: