Monday, December 3, 2012

God Will Sort Things Out in the End

Have you ever read an article and been amazed at the boldness of some people to speak powerful words?  Many times I come across articles that make my jaw hit the floor because people are bold enough to speak.  I'm not saying it is always good things they have to say but they say them none the less.  Recently I read an article titled Brad Pitt on Same-Sex Marriage: 'Let Your God Sort It Out.'  Lets just say the title alone grabbed my attention. 

Brad Pitt is very much a proponent for same-sex marriage.  On the issue he recently said, "Equality, absolutely, that's what defines us.  It's what makes us great."  I'm assuming the "us" refers to America and not Mr. and Mrs. Smith.  The opposite of Pitt's argument is the reality that those who are opposed to same-sex marriage are not about equality.  This puts those, like myself, in a crux.

I say it puts myself in a crux because I must either conform to "equality" or what God says in his Word.  I know the scale is close to balancing between "equality" and God so this decision must be though through carefully (That's called sarcasm).  But I am also not sure Mr. Pitt has a definition for equality.  Sounds good in the same-sex argument because "we" has already redefined the definition of marriage so "we" can also change the definition of equality.  I'm afraid Mr. Pitt only wants equality up to a certain point.  That point is marriage.  He is all about same-sex marriage and changing the law, yes, the law, in order to have "equal rights." 

Interestingly enough in the same article Mr. Pitt also talks about the issue of "federal drug restrictions."  He says, "We should be responsible for our own choices in talking about the drug laws...the drug war is an ultimate failure and that the billions and billions of dollars that we've committed to it, there's got to be a better way."  Bingo.  Pitt is correct in saying we've got to do better on the drug war.  But does anyone else see a problem with Pitt's statement?  "Equality, absolutely, that's what defines us."  Really?  What about the drug lords?  No equality for them?  Is that because Mr. Pitt is against the drugs?  "Equality....no so much."  I'm not sure Mr. Pitt has thought all these issues through completely.  I hope he will consider them and figure out if he is for "equality" or not. 

But "equality" wasn't even the biggest issue in the article.  The statement that made my jaw drop was Pitt saying, "If [same-sex marriage] doesn't sit well with your religion, let your God sort it out in the end, but that's us. We're equal."  Speechless but not thoughtless, so here are some thoughts. 

1. God is sovereign and as followers of Christ we can rest secure in his sovereignty. 
"Do you not know? Do you not hear? Has it not been told you from the beginning? Have you not understood from the foundations of the earth? It is God who sits above the circle of the earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers; who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, and spreads them like a tent to dwell in; who brings princes to nothing, and makes the rulers of the earth as emptiness" (Isaiah 40:21-23).

2. Equality for everybody in a sin cursed world isn't possible not matter how hard people try.  Our equality comes from being made in the image of God.
"So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them" (Genesis 1:27).

3. God will sort it out in the end.
"And behold, I am coming soon. Blessed is the one who keeps the words of the prophecy of this book...Behold, I am coming soon, bringing my recompense with me, to repay everyone one for what he has done.  I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end" (Revelation 22:7, 12-13).

4. The gospel of Christ gives us peace with God and one another.
"Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners" (1 Timothy 1:15). 

This article didn't shock me but reminded me that I should be bold to proclaim the message of Christ and him crucified.  We are ambassadors for Christ and he uses sinners like you and I to spread the gospel message so others can be reconciled to God.  May people hear our words and God use them to save sinners.  God will sort things out in the end but until then may we beg people to be reconciled to God (2 Cor. 5:20).  May God's Word define us as his followers.  He is our authority not the ideas of man.  Man's ways are flawed but God's way is perfect.  We can stand on his truth.

Grace upon grace,
JRL

No comments: